Monday, January 21, 2008

Bad Holiday News

"Stock market futures pointing to sharp losses" not a good way to start the week. Today may be a Holiday but already the bad news are out. Markets overseas are tanking badly but that's just a follow up to last Friday's declines. First it was the housing bubble and now it's the subprime mess. I think that right about now we all know this but the news services are not going to let this one go easily. Before the markets open we can see the bad news but if you follow financial news casts, they keep pushing the bad news all day over and over. That's all that's needed to sell the markets down hard. Bears are loving it of course and I don't blame them. I remember about a year to 18 months ago I had a strange feeling one day. I said to myself: "this bull market feels like it's getting a bit long in the tooth". I'm not a bear so this was an unusual feeling. Yet the market kept going up. Sooner or later it was going to happen. It's true that it can fall faster than it went up. I just wish I was doing more short selling but with the market being so oversold now, I think looking for bullish stocks may be a good idea. Earnings season started so there will be lots of opportunities. Look for stocks that are holding tough during the selloffs. Those are more likely to go up when the markets do.

No comments: